Thursday, February 19, 2009

RSS? What's that?

Some of my email list -- mostly the techie types -- had been telling me about RSS Feed. I didn't have the slightest idea what that is. Then I noticed that I had one of those RSS symbols on my web page.

Doing the Research

I looked it up in a book I bought to help me set up a blog, and it looks like this is easy. It will also be a time-saver, since I now travel to several bookmarks to find all the things that are important or interesting. And here's the plug for this extraordinarily helpful book: It's "Rule the Web" by Mark Frauenfelder.

Not only is it written in language that cyberklutz people like me can understand, and gives step by step instructions for anything you want to do on the web, but it has an index. That's for those of us who who know so little about RSS Feed (or whatever else) that we can't even figure out what chapter to look for it.

Still Figuring Things Out

For some reason, I thought when I was young that I would have figured everything out by this age, and could pass on much valuable information and/or wisdom. But this age is not just my own advanced age; it's also the Information Age. There's a new buzz word every day, and I've seen perfectly good technologies superseded by newer technologies simply because they were newer. If you want details, I have a lengthy list of good items that have passed into time, and bad items -- such as aluminum tumblers -- that should never have been brought back into vogue.

The Anxiety Factor

With all the new things to learn, I've had to simplify my life in order to have the hours to deal with them. One thing I've learned is not to follow fads. I joined Facebook and found a lot of my friends -- for me, it's what Instant Messaging used to be. I tried signing on with Twitter and found it unreliable and almost impossible to manage. Sometimes it's necessary to not even try to do every new thing. Some genius is going to come up with something even easier tomorrow.

All About Communication?

One thing I know about all creative people. They need some alone time, or they can't process their thoughts and emotions. Those thoughts and emotions are what makes great art, not the model you found or the colors/styles/techniques you use. In my studio, I live inside my mind, and I'm a very private person. That's why I appreciate the tips on generating better communications, especially with my clients, both existing and potential.

In my studio I find restoration and validation. Time does not exist in this mode. Writing is the same. The final result of both activities? Communication!

-- Nancy

Nancy Park Fine Art

No comments: