Friday, May 2, 2008

Painting with an Artist Friend




I never realized how lucky I was to have a friend who was an artist and a peer in achievement. We enjoy getting together and painting. We both volunteered to do demonstration painting at the Festival of the Arts in Oklahoma City April 22nd. We also volunteered to come back on the 24th. It was windy, so we set up inside the tent this time, and Verna posed for me instead of painting.

On the first day, she set up her easel about eight feet from me, facing the other direction, so it was obvious to another volunteer, Fred (whom we had never met), whenever we walked over to each other and offered constructive advice. We also ask each other to give a critique during a session. Somehow, it never seems intrusive when someone you respect as much as we honor each other. I have learned very much from her, and I’m sure she feels the same way about me. She was helping me to lose edges and soften shadows. I was helping her to emphasize her light source with a cast shadow and making her center of interest the area of greatest contrast.

Fred, the “stranger” artist, did not realize what we were doing, and thought we were behaving rudely to each other – until he finally noticed that we were very receptive to each other’s suggestions. Then he asked what we were doing. When we explained, he recognized the advantage immediately. After an hour or so, he came over to me to ask me to “critique” his painting!

I’m not sure that what Verna and I were doing felt like a critique when we asked each other for help. I think of critiques as reviews of finished work, whereas we help each other during the painting. One of the reasons we can do that is that our styles are different and complementary. Neither of us expects the other to follow the leader, so the friendship is both comfortable and challenging at the same time. Any advice she gives me, I take seriously and usually act on it. She gives me the same respect, and I think the differences in each individual’s area of knowledge is extremely helpful in learning and growing.

I wish that everyone had such an artist friend. We are both lucky in finding one another, not just as friends, but as cultivators of technique, talent, tips and education. This is a portrait I did of her at the Festival of the Arts – and yes, she gave me advice freely as I painted. Such gentle advice falls lightly on the sensitive artist’s soul. Find such a friend – I know you can!

Nancy Park

www.nancyparkart.com
Paintslinger.blogspot.com

No comments: