Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fresh off the Easel



Oklahoma City has a twice-yearly festival at one of its art districts, Paseo, and the one in October is called Paris on the Paseo. It's an alla prima paint-in for artists of every skill level, and much is learned from being with other artists at this festival. I've gone for several years, and usually sell my work immediately.

This year I had been taking advantage of our beautiful weather for two weeks by painting outdoors as often as I could manage, and was ready for action today, which was the day of the paint-in. I realized I wouldn't be able to paint all day because of an art show opening. I have some works in it, and planned to attend this evening.

My plan was my usual modus operandi since I've had my camera: Take the painting home and refine it with photo references. However, someone came and bought it as it was ... as rough as it was! Here is one of my photo references and a photo I took of the small painting. I'm going to have to start actually believing that some buyers don't want blood, sweat and tears in a painting; that one done in a few hours is worth as much as they believe it's worth.

I wonder if other artists have this problem -- a lack of faith in themselves that translates to overworking many paintings. The old saying about having another artist available to hit you over the head with a two-by-four when your painting is done may be true!

Nancy
www.nancyparkart.com
www.paintslinger.blogspot.com

No comments: